Calgary & Bragg Creek Coach
From road biking to dirt biking, Erin loved biking of all types–except downhill. She had a fear of downhill riding. However, taking a women’s focused mountain biking course changed her direction, built her confidence, and developed a love for the sport. The energy and feeling one gets from clearing a tricky section, the high fives at the bottom of the run, and of course the cold beers shared in the parking lot are just a few of the reasons that Erin loves the sport. With a background in coaching women’s soccer, coaching mountain biking is new to Erin and she is extremely excited to be joining the Shred Sisters team in Calgary. Come “SEND IT” with her this season!
- Pmbia Level 1
- Soccer Coach
- Wilderness First Aid 40 hours
About Erin MacDonald
- When did you first start riding and how did you get into it? I first started riding mountain bikes 5 years ago! I’ve always been into bikes my entire life, road – commuting – dirt biking, but I had a fear of going downhill. I took my first women’s specific course in 2017 and instantly fell in love with the sport. Since then, I’ve ridden bikes all through western Canada. Getting to know the biking community in Calgary has been such a great experience, you never fail to always see a familiar face on the trails any night of the week! I also have a passion for women in sport, and I enjoy encouraging my female friends/colleagues/family to push outside of their comfort level to see the benefits that biking can bring to your life!
- Where do you call home? Home is Calgary! I love living close to the mountains, 3-4 days a week you can catch me in the evenings after work on the trails. I am so thankful to live so close to such amazing terrain.
- What’s the best thing about mtb for you? I love mountain biking for a few reasons. It has helped me get through some difficult times in my life, just being an outlet for energy and a way to clear my head! I also enjoy the burning legs and lungs on a climb and the feeling of reaching the top of a climb. Downhill – I can’t even explain the rush that I get when you hit that berm just right or clear that technical section without thinking twice. The energy and feeling you get from clearing that tricky section, the high fives at the bottom of the hill, and the cold beer you share together in the parking lot are all reasons I love mountain biking!
- How long have you been coaching? I’m a new coaching mountain biking! And I can’t wait to get out there and share my love for biking with my community! I have previous experience in coaching/managing/playing competitive women’s soccer. Last year I volunteered with a number of different biking companies in the city to get a good idea of the coach that I want to be. I currently work as a registered nurse at the cancer center in Calgary.
- Favourite trail? I love riding around the Salmon Arm area in an area called Rubberhead. It’s old school and janky, and feels like you are in an Okanagan rainforest! I love the techy sections and flowy descents. I feel like it is a hidden gem in the interior of BC. Local trails – I love Race of Spades or Husky Road. I enjoy an old school kind techy trail where it’s something my dad would have ridden his 26 tires on – haha!
- Favourite after ride drink? I love a good Hazy IPA from one of my local breweries in Calgary! I am fortunate to live close to Cold Garden, Dandy Brewing and 88 Brewery! (some of my favs!)
- What do you want your students to gain from your coaching/teaching? I want my students to gain confidence! I want ladies to feel as stoked as I am when I get on my bike and go for a pedal. When I first started riding – I would go with men, and I found that they always pushed me to JUST SEND IT! But for me — that wasn’t the right approach. I wanted to think about each feature – plan my route and feel the confidence in my skills to approach and execute. I hope that I am able to share this knowledge with others so that they can feel confident to ride with the boys. (But also realize that riding with girls is WAY better!)