Shred Sisters are a group of passionate women dedicated to improving your mountain biking skills in a fun and safe environment.
Coach in Calgary & Bragg Creek
Sandy’s riding has developed by surrounding herself with other female riders. Many of which are also from the Calgary area, Sandy draws inspiration from watching her fellow riders and friends push their own limits, which in turn challenges her to push her own. This same sentiment is what she strives to have ring true with her students. You really can do anything, if you happen to be struggling right now, it will ‘click’ one day and your entire outlook on riding will change–for the better! Sandy is looking forward to help you get your riding to the next level, and have fun while doing it.
- Pmbia Level 1
- Wilderness first aid
- Spin Sisters volunteers
About Sandy Chong
- When did you first start riding and how did you get into it? I started biking back in 2001. My then husband rode and got me out riding. I didn’t like it as much then as he was better and faster. He signed me up with a local women’s biking club so that I could ride with other women riders. I was able to ride with similar level and met a lot of awesome women riders who are now really good friends of mine. I also signed up for clinics that has helped me immensely with technique and confidence.
- Where do you call home? Born and raised in Calgary
- Who was/is your inspiration and why?My friends who I ride with are my inspiration. They push me to try different things. I watch them ride and think to myself, if they can do that, I should be able to do it too.
- What’s the best thing about mtb for you? Being outside and exercising. Love the outdoors and the fact that I live so close to such beautiful scenery.
- How long have you been coaching? I have been coaching mountain biking on and off for over 4 years. Volunteered with Dirt Series and was an instructor with Spin Sisters.
- Favourite trail? For local, Calgary and area, I would have to say my favourite trail is Prairie View/Jewel Pass. I also love riding anything in Ridgemont in Fernie.
- Dream destination? Right now, my dream destination to ride is Carcross, Yukon. The story about how the locals built and maintain the trails is amazing.
- Favourite after ride drink? Anything Radler type
- What do you want your students to gain from your coaching/teaching The basic knowledge of how the body is one with the bike and the confidence that they can do the unexpected.
- What has been the most valuable piece of advice you’ve been given or received in mountain biking or any other sport? You can do anything. One day it will “click” and your whole outlook on riding will unfold before you.