This program is offered one evening per week, for four consecutive weeks. Each week we will focus on a different skill. The lesson will start with an hour of skill development followed by a trail ride to practice what we’ve learned.
This weekly program is the perfect way to have an overview of mountain biking, and to improve your skills, to be more confident on your bike, and have fun with your new Shred Sisters friends!
- Bike Anatomy/Safety Check, Bike Maintenance
- Bike Body Position
- Braking & Shifting
- Roll Down Maneuverer & Pressure Control
- How to change a flat tire
Skills & Fitness Level
Double track = two trails that run parallel to each other (also called a quad trail).
Single track = a narrow mountain bike trail that must be ridden single file.
Beginner Without Experience: You want to learn to ride single track mountain bike trails while making new riding friends. You are comfortable to ride a road/urban/packed dirt/gravel double track bike. You are keen to learn the fundamental skills of mountain biking, build confidence, and progress in a safe and encouraging environment.
Must be comfortable riding doubletrack gravel trails and to expect to ride singletrack trail 90% of the time.
Example of trails you may ride in this course:: Quarry Lake, Low Line, Fish Creek, Bowmont, Moonraker trails, CBT, Déjà vu, Johnson trails, Lois Creeks Trails, Happy Haus, Pilsit, Elephant Run, Juniper Lane, Home Run, Miller Time, Dusty Beaver, Hemlock Groove.
FITNESS LEVEL 2
- You live a fairly sedentary life with little physical activity other than walking.
- You can handle a 1-hour bike ride on flat terrain at a relaxed pace.
- You can ride 1-day at a time then a day or two rest.
- Small, short hills are challenging to climb, but are sometimes manageable.
- You exercise on average 2-hour per week (including riding a mountain bike).
- Must have read our booking information prior to booking one of our programs.
- Must have Read & Agreed to our Waiver.
- Must be comfortable riding doubletrack gravel trails and to expect to ride singletrack trail 90% of the time.
- Must have a mountain bike with minimum 2.3″ tires, front suspension, and disc brakes.
- If you do not meet all of these prerequisites contact us for private lesson options
Each course has a different cancellation policy, all details information are written at the bottom of each course. Below are the two mains one, retreats, and custom program cancellation policy will be written within the contract or on advertise page.
Cancellation Policy – Programs
Written cancellation 14 days or more prior to the program will receive a full refund minus an administration fee of $85. Cancellation in writing less than 14 days prior to the program start date will not be refunded or credited. Programs under $150 cancellation fees are $50.
In the event of mutual cancellation, a credit will be provided to another program or a replacement lesson will be provided.
If for medical reasons you cannot attend and you notify us 14 days prior to the start of the program, you will be eligible for a free transfer or credit with a note from your doctor. The free transfer can only be used once.
Transfer – Programs
Written requests of transfer 14 days or more prior to the program start date will be eligible for an administration fee of $50.
If a mistake is made while registering and you notify us within 24 hours of payment and 10 days prior to the course start date. No cost will be applicable for this change.
Program Dates & Time
- Thursday May 11th to June 1st – with Maggie & Sandy
- Tuesday June 6th to 27th – with Sandy& Erin
- Tuesday July 4th to 25th – with Sandy
- Wednesday August 30th to Sept 20th -with Erin
- Spring/Summer PM: 6:15pm-8:45pm
- Fall Program: 5:30pm-8:00pm – Last class 5:30pm-7:30pm
(Area use; Fish Creek Park, Bowmont & NoseHill)
- Tuesday May 23rd to June 13th
- Spring/Summer: PM 6:00pm- 8:30pm
- Fall Program: 5:30pm-8:00pm – Last class 5:30pm-7:30pm
*Note that some places in Canmore are paid parking
*This course can be offered on customized dates for groups of 4+ who want to learn with their friends.
- Length: 2.5 hours – 4 consecutive weeks
- Ratio: 6 riders per instructor
We require a minimum of 4 participants to run a program.
*Bike Rental Option: For anyone who would like to rent a bike for this course, Shred Sisters in partnership with Bow Cycle Calgary & Redound Cycle in Canmore can offer you a discounted rental. Promo code will be provided to participants after program booking. Send us an email to request.
Erin was amazing! For a beginner class, she had the perfect mix of challenging us while make sure we were still enjoying ourselves! Her instructions and demonstrations were easy to follow and she definitely helped build confidence in everyone in the class through her constant feedback and encouragement! This was my second class with Shred Sisters and I’m certain I’ll be back to take another one soon.
I really enjoyed Audrey’s beginner course! She was very patient and gave great instructions, especially for the technical aspect of the course!! I learned so much this weekend to help improve my off road riding and am excited to apply everything I’ve learned on my next ride!! Especially smoothly rolling over logs in my way!!! 🙂 – Joanna Maurice
Before taking this course, I thought of myself as a beginner/intermediate rider and came into it wanting to learn a few specific things. Well, I learned those few things within the first couple hours, and the rest of the weekend was bonus learning in my eyes! Lynsey was an absolute delight to have as an instructor. She was very detailed and clear when she explained things, had a great sense of humour, and was an absolute badass on her bike! It was amazing to watch her demonstrate different techniques – she made it all look so easy. It’s obvious that she has spent a lot of time developing and honing her skills. I hope I can rip down the trails like that in the future!
I came to the course struggling with my climbing and cornering. With the instruction on body position, technique and a ton of encouragement, I’m leaving as a stronger, more confident rider & climber.